Top Dog Breeds of 2008

.

Each year, the American Kennel Club compiles a list of the year’s most desired breeds. For 2008, I am happy to announce that the “top dog” (and reigning champ for the last 18 years) happens to be the breed closest to my heart: The Labrador Retriever:

labradorretriever3

The Labrador Retriever is the breed my family has chosen my entire life, so I can speak first hand about their ease with children, playful attitude, and loyalty. My nephews are toddlers and are quite fond of tail pulling, sitting on a sleeping dog, and ear tugging. My Labs take all the confusing displays of affection in stride, though their eyes sometimes indicate they are thinking, “Uh, can someone help me out here?” All joking aside, Labradors are well know as a family dog and are great around young children. In my experience, they also adapt very well to the other pets in a new home, which makes them a great addition to most household situations.

The Labrador is defined by its eagerness to please its owner which makes it an incredibly obedient dog, as well as a great student. They are easy to train and are extremely intelligent. What most people don’t know is that the Lab is also the most popular breed of assistance dog in the United States. Their intelligence makes them fantastic guide dogs for the blind, a great asset to police forces, and a much needed team member for many search-and-rescue teams. However, as the name indicates, they are best know for their talent of retreiving. That said, you are sure to find a new hunting buddy or fellow fisherman in this breed.

Now, without further ado…here are the remaining top 10:

2. Yorkshire Terrier

3. German Shepherd Dog

4. Golden Retriever

5. Beagle

6. Boxer

7. Dachshund

8. Bulldog

9. Poodle

10. Shih Tzu

In the first paragraph, I linked to the AKC’s descriptive entry on this great animal. I have also included links to descriptions for the other top 9 dogs. However, should you like to share your joyful experience with your own pup’s breed, comment away! There are plenty of breeds out there , and we’d love to hear great stories about all of them.

1 comentarios
  1. Jodie Bickerton 29 de abril de 2009, 16:59  

    I cant agree with you more, The Labrador retriever are the most amazing dogs. I have two a chocolate and a yellow. They both have exceptional temperaments and give me and my daughter so much pleasure.

    My yellow labrador had a litter of puppies 5 days ago 24/04/09. See her blog and follow the growth of her puppies at http://Heidithelabrador.blogspot.com

You are looking for?.... Look here.